Sunday, January 7, 2007

Steps in Seeking God's Will

I got a new Bible for Christmas. It's the Life Application Study Bible, and I love it! I was just browsing through the topics in the concordance and found some verses on seeking God's will. I randomly chose verse, Acts 16:6 "They passed through the Phrygian and Galatian region, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia."

Okay, that didn't say much to me. At first I thought I was reading the wrong verse. And then I read the commentary below which explained the verse in depth. It reads:

We don't know how the Holy Spirit told Paul that he and his companions should not go into
Asia. It may have been through a prophet, a vision, an inner conviction, or some other circumstance. To know God's will does not mean we must hear his voice. He leads in different ways.

When seeking God's will:
(1) Make sure your plan is in harmony with God's Word.
(2) Ask mature Christians for their advice.
(3) Check your own motives - are you seeking to do what you want or what you think God wants?
(4) Pray for God to open and close the doors as he desires.

I like that! Easy to follow. Unfortunately God does does not usually speak to us in an audible voice telling us which direction to turn at every intersection. But if we make our decisions by following those four steps listed - I think we will make wise choices - Godly choices.

This is just a beginning for me. I'll be digging DEEPER on this topic!!

No comments: